Monday, March 29, 2010

Exercise for Weight Loss

Exercise is an important part of weight loss. But what kind works best?

There are many to choose from, like interval training, circuit training, resistance exercise, and aerobic exercise. Some say lifting weights is the only way while others claim this is too strenuous. Some say aerobic exercise burns more fat but then others claim it does not help in weight loss. Who do we believe?

My opinion is just do what you feel like doing. But do something. No exercise is the quickest way to get out of shape and unhealthy, that's for sure. Regular exercise lowers blood pressure, burns calories, strengthens your heart muscles, increases your ability to breathe deeper (very healthy), and keeps you limber and youthful.

Personally, I like exercise where I feel like I'm exercising. So-called "dance" aerobics do nothing for me. I feel like I'm expending my energy on learning what to do rather than burning calories or getting healthy. Maybe if I tried salsa dancing...

My exercises of choice have been David Kirsch's Sound Mind, Sound Body dvd. (You can find it on Amazon.) I love the sumo squats he uses and exercises such as push-ups which are simple yet extremely effective. The workout is about 45 minutes, but I set my goal at 10 minutes when I first started. It took a while to get up to the whole 45 minutes but it was worth it. It was very difficult, so I took my time and figured something (10 minutes) was better than no minutes.

My new favorite is Turbo Jam by Beach Body. I was shocked at the price, but then found it on Amazon for a lot cheaper (sorry Beach Body but a girl's gotta do). I got the first dvd which consisted of 5 workouts. Two of them are only 20 minutes long which is great for me. If I am told I must exercise 40 minutes to see results my inner rebel will not do it at all. The 20 minutes workouts are great and it's so fun I didn't mind going to the longer workouts. I actually really enjoy this one!

And, here's my plug, I get a lot quicker results from my exercise these days after I go healthy by cleansing. If you haven't seen it yet, here's my personal story about weight, Hep C and body cleansing

No comments: