Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Why Can't I Lose Weight - Part 2

I'm going to explain my previous post, "Why Can't I Lose Weight?" a little more in depth.

My answer before was environmental toxins. I know it sounds crazy so I'm going to explain why I believe this is true - at least in part.

First of all, let's get the genes thing out of the way. While genes do determine some aspects about us, they are not absolute. Many genes lie dormant and your lifestyles determines which are active and which are not. We do have a little control there.

So what role do environmental toxins play? A lot. First there are the health issues. Many of the pesticides and industrial toxins around us and in our bodies interfere with our natural hormone balance. One of the problems arising from this is an under active or inhibited thyroid.

When your thyroid is not functioning properly, you may get symptoms of hypothyroidism. This leads to unexplained weight gain, hair loss, and fatigue. It also makes it a lot harder to lose weight.

Environmental toxins get stored in adipose tissue. This seems to be because your body has no way to process these foreign man-made toxins. Since they are not from nature and evolution takes centuries to happen, your body simply has no gene coded to tell it what to do with the toxin. To protect you, your body stores many of the toxins in fat where it will cause lesser harm.

Your body will attempt to filter or neutralize environmental toxins through your liver. Since there are so many of them (around 80,000 known to be in use in our environment) our bodies get over-burdened with these. This may lower your liver's ability to function, which is a problem since another function of your body is to metabolize fat. If your liver has to make a choice of toxins or fat, your body will probably choose dealing with toxins as a matter of survival. You can live with fat and besides, your body may need it as storage for the excess toxins it cannot process.

Some of the environmental toxins are resistant to metabolic breakdown. In other words, your body just cannot process them. Many of these are getting stored in your adipose tissue, or fat. One study on obesity indicates that weight loss may become detrimental to health as the toxins leave adipose tissue and circulate.

I like to bring these issues to people's awareness. Obesity is epidemic and losing weight is not an easy task by any means. Cravings seem to dominate and dieting doesn't seem to be working.

I did various diets for years starting in college. I know I gained a lot of weight eating pizza and drinking beer in college, but when I stopped this lifestyle, why didn't the weight come off, not matter how well I ate? This gets frustrating so eating more junk food not only doesn't seem to matter, but becomes comforting.

It was only when I started cleansing my body that the weight started coming off. After my first body cleanse, not only did I drop 25 pounds but it stayed off. And it kept leaving as my body started balancing. For the first time in my life, my body responded to exercise. Things weren't so frustrating or hopeless any longer.

It is my goal to teach people about holistic health and the power of their bodies. I know we are all stronger than we may think. Cravings and plateauing are not our fault, there is an outside force that many are unaware of. This affects our ability to lose weight and in many cases affects our health in other adverse ways.

I wrote these following books to teach others what I have learned. The first is about The SpringClean Cleanse which is about Whole Body Cleansing and the next is The SpringClean Intensive, the intensive Weight Loss Detox and Fat Loss Cleanse.

No comments: